Tuesday 8 April 2014

Revlon 736 Elusive Swatch and Review

I am wearing Pokemon on my leggings today and it makes me a happy panda even though sometimes I question my shitty choices in fashion and wondering if I am ever going to dress my age. Just whenever I dress nice, I feel like an imposter. HAY GUYZ I AM A BIZNIZ WO-MAN. Anyway, today is Tuesday and it's cheap day - I might even grab a cheap burger today at work for lunch, but in the case that I don't, I've also got Cheap Polish Tuesday!

This is Revlon Elusive. I picked it up for $3.99 from Superstore a couple of weeks ago when I was buying medicine. Elusive is a black based jelly, packed with blue toned emerald green multi-sized hex glitters and microglitter. The formula goes on swimmingly and it only took two coats with a tad of retouch strokes to get to full opacity. It finishes to a wax/satin-like finish - I personally don't find it flattering at all. It looks far more to its namesake - elusive - when finished glossy. Here it is first with a coat of Seche Vite:

Revlon Elusive Swatch (with Seche Vite)

Revlon Elusive Swatch (with Seche Vite)

Revlon Elusive Swatch (with Seche Vite)

Revlon Elusive Swatch (with Seche Vite)

Revlon Elusive Swatch (with Seche Vite)

Here's Revlon Elusive with its natural wax/satin finish. I personally don't like it because I feel like the glitters are still bumpy. I am also a bit over this finish - if I want this finish, I'll use a matte top coat. I don't think the glitters are particular more stand out in this finish - I feel like it actually dulls it down. Not a fan. Here it is:

Revlon Elusive Swatch

Revlon Elusive Swatch

Revlon Elusive Swatch

Do you dress your age? Does it even matter? What do you think of polishes that have a "built-in" wax/satin finish? Is it soooooo 2013? Or are you still into them? Tell me what you're doing for Cheap Tuesday!

10 comments:

  1. much prefer glossy but then i always have ;)

    this is really pretty! drugstore polish has really stepped it up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ugh I wasn't too happy with Revlon a couple of years ago but last year and this year they've come out with some really cool stuff - and even though nail art double enders are cool too!

      Delete
  2. Unff this is a stunner <3 Oddly enough, I prefer it glossy, as I think the glossy finish gives it a lot more depth.

    And I feel ya on the whole feeling-like-an-imposter thing. I feel like I'm practically shouting I'M A PROFESHUNAL GUYS when I'm wearing a nude-ish type of shade on my nails :') Let's not even get into the clothes, okay?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. LET'S NOT EVEN GET INTO THE CLOTHES LOL. For serious I've got weddings in my Slayer t-shirt before and this weekend I wore chain mail leggings at an engagement shoot. Why am I so bad at being an adult?!

      Glossy > * (well in this case anyway!)

      Delete
  3. I was never a big fan of the waxy finish, and I don't think it's the right kind of finish for this polish. The shiny finish makes it look WAY better, and kind of endless in a way - like a sky with teal stars. :)

    I was really shy growing up so I never really stepped out of my comfort zone, even though the inner me was more rock/goth than what people saw - or even knew! So I feel like it's too late to try some of those things now that I'm passed my mid 30s and expecting a child, but I still dress how I feel and I don't really follow trends - make that "don't follow trends". I'm just me. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love the wax finish on the right polish but for me, I would like the make the choice myself rather than have the finish built in a certain way haha. I even saw that Shoppers Quo by Orly had a flakie matte top coat now - I don't even see how that will work because I hate bumps in the finish!

      hehe I've never followed trends myself but I do feel like I haven't adjusted to being an adult and sometimes I still dress like a scrubby college kid haha.

      Delete
  4. Hi :O I got here through Google looking for info on this nail polish (It finally got here to Argentina this month and I'm probably swatching it on my blog late at night) and I'll definitely will follow you from now on XD
    OMG I'm also wearing crazy lighting leggings and continuously ask myself when I'll stop felling like "HAY I'M PLAYING TO BE A GROWN-UP" every time I try to dress nice. I'm starting to wonder if this is a blogger thing D:
    I felt sooo disappointed with the matte / wax finish.. Even though I was somewhat reluctant to buy it because all Revlon black jelly based glitter nail polishes fall a little short of one's expectations.. But Man! I don't know if mine came with a shortage of the biggest hexagonal glitters but yours look amazing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hehe today I am taking the cake since I am wearing green mermaid leggings and then bright red chucks! A little ode to The Little Mermaid!

      As for Elusive, I honestly loved it considering the cheap price it was here in Canada (less than $5) but when I was in Ireland, I noticed Revlon polishes were €9-10 which is about $15 here!!! Yikes! Honestly this polish heavily relies on a solid top coat for finishing because of the matte and bumpiness from the glitters!

      I'll have a look at your blog and follow you too, fellow crazy leggings folk! :D :D :D <3

      Delete
  5. Hi! I just discovered your blog while looking for Rainbow Honey unboxing posts, and I love it :) But anyway, this is an interesting color. I used to have a similar Revlon polish, except it was purple instead of green, but I threw it out because Revlon isn't 3/4/5-free. I agree that it looks way better glossy, and honestly, I always prefer my polish to be glossy. I never wear any of my matte/satin polishes without a top coat.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Herrro! I will always try my best to post unboxing posts so tune in each month! I hope to step it up with photos too but I guess we'll see about that one! Is it Revlon Scandalous? I have that one too but haven't tried it! To be honest I am not a huge fan of Revlon's polishes. It's always been more misses than hits unfortunately. I don't like the natural satin finish - would prefer to finish it off myself with a matte top coat if I wanted to go in that direction!

      Delete